This is the most comprehensive anti-inflammatory foods list PDF that you will find on the internet. Before jumping straight to the lists and PDF downloads, let’s review how to use this anti-inflammatory foods guide, which comes complete with a 4 page printable download.
Table of Contents
Guide to the Anti-Inflammatory Foods List
Simply put, this guide is broken down into five sections, but most importantly it includes four anti-inflammatory foods lists.
- The Ultimate Anti-Inflammatory Foods List
- Seasonal Anti-Inflammatory Foods List (North Carolina)
- Seasonal Anti-Inflammatory Foods List (Southern California)
- Fast Food Anti-Inflammatory Food Options
Each anti-inflammatory foods section is categorized by food group with foods listed in alphabetical order. Please note that while this is an extensive list, it is not an all-inclusive list.
Most fruits and vegetables have anti-inflammatory properties; therefore, it would be nearly impossible to list them all.
Benefits of An Anti-Inflammatory Diet
You may be wondering why it’s important to eat anti-inflammatory foods. It’s a valid question and there are several reasons. Most importantly, following an anti-inflammatory not only prevents inflammation in the body, but it can also help reduce inflammation after it has occurred (1).
It’s important to know that chronic inflammation is harmful to our health and the root cause of many chronic diseases, such as diabetes, depression, anxiety, heart disease, arthritis, dementia, and other degenerative diseases (1).
If you’re looking for a specific type of diet to model, the Mediterranean Diet is a great example as it consists of nearly all anti-inflammatory food choices. The Mediterranean style of eating is rich in fruits, vegetables, fish, legumes, whole grains, nuts, and seed. You may also like to check out my anti-inflammatory salads recipe.
The Ultimate Anti-Inflammatory Foods List
Now that we have that out of the way, let’s jump right into discovering exactly which foods are considered anti-inflammatory. Make sure to download the Ultimate Anti-Inflammatory Foods List PDF Bundle.
- Bell peppers
- Green Leaf Lettuce
- Sweet Potato
- Swiss Chard
- Avocado Oil
- Olive Oil
- Nut Butters
Nuts & Seeds
- Pine Nuts
- Brown Rice
- Whole Rye
- Whole Wheat
Herbs & Spices
- Black beans
- Red beans
- Red kidney beans
- Pinto beans
- Dark chocolate (70% or greater)
- Green tea
Seasonal Anti-Inflammatory Foods Availability (North Carolina)
I’m a fan of eating foods that are in season. Not only does it feel good and appropriate to be consuming the bounty of the current season, but it’s also a great way to get the highest amount of nutritional punch from the fruit or vegetable that’s just been harvested.
I won’t say that I’m indifferent to organic versus conventionally grown produce, but I will say that I strongly believe the more of these items you consume daily, the better it will be for your health. Use this seasonal food guide to find seasonal anti-inflammatory foods that are available in your area.
Seasonal Anti-Inflammatory Foods Availability (Southern California)
Anti-Inflammatory Fast-Food Options
Finally, let’s look at some of the anti-inflammatory fast-food options at 6 of the top 10 fast food brands in America. Now, I must be honest with you, some of these items are stretching it when it comes to truly meeting the description of anti-inflammatory.
For the sake of full transparency, let’s just say that it’s tough to truly eat anti-inflammatory foods at fast food chains. You’ll be happy to know that I’ve outlined some of the healthiest options you can find at these six popular fast-food restaurants.
Items that can truly be considered anti-inflammatory will have an asterisk (*) beside them.
- Grilled Chicken Sandwich (on multigrain bun, no sauce)
- Multigrain English Muffin
- Greek Yogurt Parfait w/ Granola
- *Fruit Cup
- Grilled Nuggets
- Chick-Fil-A Cool Wrap
- *Cobb Salad (with or w/o grilled chicken)
- *Spicy Southwest Salad (with or w/o grilled chicken)
- *Market Salad (with or w/o grilled chicken)
- *Side Salad
- *Black Coffee
- *Buddy Fruits Apple Sauce
- Light Balsamic Dressing
- Light Italian Dressing
- Burrito Bowl
- *Lifestyle Bowl (Options: black beans, pinto beans, guacamole, brown rice, fresh salsa, fajita veggies, super greens lettuce mixture, romaine lettuce)
- *Salad Bowl (Options: black beans, pinto beans, guacamole, brown rice, fresh salsa, fajita veggies, super greens lettuce mixture, romaine lettuce)
- *Apple Slices
- Fruit & Maple Oatmeal Bowl
- *Black coffee
- Strawberry Banana Smoothie
- Pineapple Mango Smoothie
- *Power Menu Bowl – Veggie (lettuce, black beans, onions, jalapenos, guacamole, without cheese and avocado ranch sauce depending on your goals)
- *Power Menu Bowl (without cheese and avocado ranch sauce depending on your goals)
- *Black beans
- Fiesta Veggie Burrito
- Bean Burrito
- *Teavana Sparkling Unsweetened Peach Nectarine Green Tea
- *Black Coffee (Hot or Iced)
- *Hot Tea, Variety
- Chickpea Bites & Avocado Protein box
- *Rolled and Steel Cut Oatmeal
- Strawberry Overnight Grains
- *Black Bean Soup
- *Build Your Own Salad (Options: tomato, lettuce, avocado, onion, jalapenos, green peppers, banana peppers, cucumbers, pickles, spinach)
- Build Your Own Sandwich on 9-Grain Wheat Bread (Options: tomato, lettuce, avocado, onion, jalapenos, green peppers, banana peppers, cucumbers, pickles, spinach)
Anti-Inflammatory Foods List PDF
Make sure to download and print the Ultimate Anti-Inflammatory Foods List PDF and keep it handy when you are heading to the grocery store or eating out.
As always, feel free to share your favorite anti-inflammatory foods or favorite healthy fast-food items in the comments. I love when readers share their personal favorites and experiences.
The purpose of this information is to inform and empower the reader to make positive lifestyle changes. The intent is not to replace medical advice or instructions given by your doctor or healthcare provider.
Angela Lago is a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist and holds a Master’s of Science in Nutrition. She is passionate about researching the connection between gut health and mental wellness. Learn more about Angela’s journey from being depressed, anxious, and sleep deprived to being happy, healthy, and thriving!